College / University
Past Beacon Award Projects
THE CASE OF THE MISSING BRIDGE by Michael Brady
A Study Guide to Sherlock Holmes - Volume 1 by William S. Dorn
A Study Guide to Sherlock Holmes - Volume 2 by William S. Dorn
A Study Guide to The Adventure of the Copper Beeches by William S. Dorn
A Study Guide to The Red-Headed League by William S. Dorn
A Study Guide to The Adventure of the Speckled Band by William S. Dorn
A Study Guide to The Adventure of the Illustrious Client by William S. Dorn
Humanities 101: Sherlock Holmes and Victorian England by Dr. Tracy J. Revels
College Literature Donald A. Petkus, Lecturer at Indiana University, developed his syllabus for college upperclassmen. His major focus is on the Canon with digressions into "The Game" of Sherlockian scholarship and scion societies.
This class is an investigation of how nineteenth-century literature is translated into our contemporary world through various art forms such as music, architecture, film, television, graphic novels, or online and social media. What is it that makes us keep returning to the past, and how does each adaptation re-make the original into something new and relevant?
Sherlockian Academic Papers
In the past several years, several Theses and Dissertations have been completed, focusing on Sherlock Holmes, the Canon, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Below are several that have been publicly published on the internet. Please note these papers are provided here for the entertainment and education of our members and visitors. Any use of these papers other than that purpose should be approved in advance by the author or institution the paper was developed for.
- Doyle, Arthur Conan Doyle. "The Vasometer Changes in the Tabes Dorsailis." University of Edinburgh. 1885.
- Alberto, Maria. "Studies in Black, Emerald, Pink, and Midnight: Tracking Rescriptions of Holmes and Watson through Convergence Culture." Cleveland State University. 2014. Master's Thesis.
- Ashe, Nathan. "Our Case Is Not Complete: Sherlock Holmes, Victorian Spiritualism, and the Scientific Use of the Imagination." Columbia University. 2013. Senior Thesis
- Bacik, Tomas. "Sherlock and Sherlock Holmes: A Comparative Analysis." Masaryk University. 2013. Bachelor's Thesis.
- Bartschi, Jami-Leigh. "My Dear Watson: A Musical Interpretation of Sherlock Holmes's Friendship with Dr. John Watson." Rollins College. 2012. Master's Thesis.
- Beck, David Michael. "I See You Have Quite Gone Over to the Supernaturalists: The Spiritual and Scientific Arthur Conan Doyle." University of Hull. 2012. PhD Thesis.
- Bjorklund, Miriam. "To Face it Like a Man: Exploring Male Anxiety in Dracula and the Sherlock Holmes Canon." University of Oslo. 2014. Master's Thesis.
- Broyles, Britney. "Crime and Culture: A Thematic Reading of Sherlock Holmes and His Adaptations." University of Louisville. 2016. PhD Dissertation.
- Cagliyan, Murat. "Gothic Elements in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Stories." Middle East Technical University. 2010. Master's Thesis.
- Carey, Allison. "Sherlock Holmes and James Moriarty: Victorian Genius in a Millennial World." University of Dayton. 2015. Honor's Thesis.
- Cauley, Helen. "Influences of the Scottish Enlightenment in the Sherlock Holmes Stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle." Georgia State University. 2017. PhD Dissertation.
- Cook, Kimberlee. "The Sensation of Sherlock Holmes." Wichita State University. 2008. Master's Thesis.
- Cooke, Mae Leigh. "Fear of and Fascination with the Foreign in Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Adventures." Grand Valley State University. 2010. Master's Thesis.
- Davin, Sarah M. "The Temptation of Sherlock Holmes: Aesthetics, Expectations, and the Gothic." Bard College. 2016. Senior Project.
- Durrer, Rebecca A. "Knightly Gentlemen: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and His Historical Novels." University of North Texas. 1993. Master's Thesis.
- Eberly, Naomi. "Manning the Empire: The Pedagogical Function of Sherlock Holmes and Phileas Fogg in the Late Victorian Period." Ashland University. 2014. Honors Project.
- Fowler, Angela. "Arthur Conan Doyle and British Cosmopolitan Identity: Knights, Detectives, and Mediums." Auburn University. 2014. PhD Dissertation.
- Gates, Samantha Vaughn. "Romantic Realities: Sherlock Holmes and Urban Imagination." Bucknell University. 2016. Honors Project.
- Ghosh, Arundhati. "From Holmes to Sherlock: Confession, Surveillance, and the Detective." Bowling Green State University. 2013. PhD Dissertation.
- Hayes, Corey. "The Adventure of the Immortal Detective: Adaptation and Audience Investment in the Cases of Sherlock Holmes." Liberty University. 2016. Master's Thesis.
- Hickey, Elinor G. "So Ardent a Bicyclist: Women's Mobility in Sherlock Holmes." Queen Mary University. 2015. Master's Thesis.
- Isokoski, Mari. "The Victorian Middle Class, Imperialist Attitude and Women in Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Adventures." University of Tampere. 2008. Master's Thesis.
- Jensen, Louise. "Representations of Sherlock Holmes: A Study of Sherlock Holmes' New Trademarks as a Sex Symbol, Action Hero, and Comedian in the 21st Century." Aalborg Unviersity. 2014. Master's Thesis.
- Jones, Andrew Cessna. "I Listen to Their Story, They Listen to My Comments, and Then I Pocket My Fee: Sherlock Holmes as Rhetorical Equipment for Living." Louisiana State University. 2016. PhD Dissertation.
- Korpi-Hallila, Niina. "Friendship between Sherlock Holmes and John Watson." University of Vaasa. 2015. Master's Thesis.
- Lackey, Jennifer. "Genre and Gender in 21st Century Visions of Sherlock Holmes." Brock University. 2014. Master's Thesis.
- Laven, Eleni. "Detection, Desire and Contamination: The Strange Case of Sherlock Holmes." The University of Waikato. 2013. Master's Thesis.
- Lin, Min. "The Transnational Flow of BBC Sherlock: Investigating the role of Chinese Fans in the Success of BBC Sherlock in Mainland China." The University of Warwick. 2013. PhD Dissertation.
- Mario, Giovanny. "A Psychoanalysis on the Main Character and the Author of Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarlet." Bina Nusantara University. Master's Thesis.
- McLaughlin, Rebecca. "A Study in Sherlock: Revisiting the Relationship between Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson." Bridgewater State University. 2013. Master's Thesis.
- Miranda, Christina M. "Minding the Gaps: Deducing Meaning in Sherlock Holmes FanFiction." DePaul University. 2017. Master's Thesis.
- Mohon, Pamela E. "Alexandra Leaving: An Exploration into Sherlock Holmes and the Writer, Reader, Character Relationship." Ohio State University. 2008. Honors Thesis.
- Nechita, Olivia-Dumitrina. "Re-Imagining Sherlock Holmes as the Hero in Detective Fiction." University of Lleida. 2014. PhD Dissertation.
- Nugroho, Agung Suryo. "An Analysis of Illocutionary Acts in Sherlock Holmes Movie." State Islamic University. 2011. Master's Thesis.
- Onderkova, Kristyna. "Sherlock Holmes vs. Hercule Poirot: The Comparison between A.C. Doyle's and A. Christie's Great Detectives." University of Brno. 2005. Bachelor's Thesis.
- Polasek, Ashley. "Age Doth Not Wither Nor Custom Stale My Infinite Variety: Surveying the Evolution of Dr. John H. Watson through 70 Years of the Hound of the Baskervilles on Screen." Clemson University. 2009. Master's Thesis.
- Polasek, Ashley. "The Evolution of Sherlock Holmes: Adapting Character Across Time and Text." DeMontfort University. 2014. PhD Dissertation.
- Rassi, Sampo. "The Tigers in the Fog: The Foreign in Sherlock Holmes Adventures." University of Helsinki. 2013. Master's Thesis.
- Reeves, Emma F. "The World's Greatest Detectives: Analyzing the Relationship and Cultural Meaning of Sherlock Holmes and Batman." The University of Southern Mississippi. 2017. Honors Thesis.
- Saarnisalo, Henna. "Sherlock Holmes from Page to Screen: Adapting the Invisible Army." University of Oulu. 2017. Bachelor's Thesis.
- Syahdazahra, Nenden Alifa. "The Representation of Victorian Women in Sherlock Holmes Stories." State Islamic University. 2014. Bachelor's Thesis.
- Van den Bergh, Bonnie. "Approaches to Crime in the Sherlock Holmes Stories and the BBC's Murder Rooms." Radboud University. 2015. Bachelor's Thesis.
- Van Laethem, Eline. "Connecting Detectives: Investigation of the Extent to which Arthur Conan Doyle Influenced by Edgar Allen Poe's Detective Auguste Dupin when Creating Sherlock Holmes." Ghent University. 2016. Master's Thesis.
- Weiss, Brooke Gabrielle. "Sherlock Holmes: A Character of the City: Analysis of the Nineteenth Century City in Arthur Conan Doyle's Series." Leiden University. 2017. Master's Thesis.
- Wentworth, Robert B. "Comparison of the Mystery Solution Methods of Auguste Dupin and Sherlock Holmes." Boston University. 1936. Master's Thesis.
- Widya, JenePradana Valentina. "Sherlock Holmes' Prosocial Behavior to Help the Society in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's A Study in Scarlet." Dian Nuswantoro University. 2015. Bachelor's Thesis.
- Wisser, Katherine Mary -- "The Creation, Reception, and Perpetuation of the Sherlock Holmes Phenomenon, 1887-1930." University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, June, 2000. Master's Thesis.